Each year our hearts are touched by the courageous spirit of those who revoke an unequalled contribution in the quest to help their community.
The annual “Helping Hands Award” recognizes the exemplary role of those who count it an honor to serve others through their courageous spirit.
2016 Helping Hands Awardees
Wilbur Howe and Lori Veerkamp
Corporate Helping Hands Award
C & H Motor Parts/Wilbur Howe
Wilbur Howe, C & H Motor Parts have counted it an honor to serve, and we applaud their exemplary role in supporting “programs that care for people.”
- As a caring philanthropist, Wilbur was a major supporter of the 2006 Emergency Room Campaign and Exclusive four-year sponsor of the iWalk School
- Consistent sponsor of nursing scholarships at Marshall Medical Center; and major supporter of the Strength for the Journey, surviving sudden loss program.
- Support for Marshall Foundation through the Drive for Marshall; along with nearly 70 memorial gifts that supported programs that care for people.
- The in-kind and cash gifts given to charities in our community are without measure, but to name a few that have been supported: Guiding Eyes for the Blind; Snowline Hospice; the Rubicon Foundation; Boys and Girls Club; Marshall Hospital Auxiliary; Soroptimist of Placerville; the 4-H of El Dorado County; the Disabled Veterans; and the County Chamber of Commerce.
- In addition over the years, Wilbur Howe has dedicated his time to other parts of our community and beyond. He served in the role of president for the following organizations: Marshall Foundation; Placerville Rotary Club; the Livestock Auction; and the El Dorado County Fair Association. He has provided countless hours to the National Auto Parts Association and was the first to represent the West Coast. He also served on the El Dorado Co. Chamber Board of Directors; the Placerville Volunteer Fire Fighters; and the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Posse.
- As a valued local business, the charitable contribution to nonprofits in our community is vast and numerous.
The commitment C & H Motor Parts and Wilbur Howe makes to Marshall Foundation for Community Health is based on their belief in healthcare excellence, which makes a profound impact on the community they serve. Their monetary and in-kind support makes a difference in our community each and every day. It is exemplary and most worthy of the 2016 Corporate Helping Hands Award.
Individual Helping Hands Award
Lori has left a footprint on our hearts, and we will never be the same. As a result, she has made a tremendous impact and displayed great spirit through helping to support “programs that care for people.”
- Major sponsor and consistent supporter of the Drive for Marshall golf tournament; and supporter of the Cancer Center Project with a leadership gift.
- On the Foundation’s Drive for Marshall Team, she has become the quintessential volunteer looking for ways to improve our tournament, to provide the opportunity for community leaders to participate through sponsorships; auction items; and drawing prizes.
- Lori regularly volunteers her time in our community with nonprofits including the Boys and Girls Club of El Dorado Co.; the Women’s Fund El Dorado; the El Dorado Hills Rotary fundraising events; the El Dorado Hills Volunteer Firefighters Auxiliary; the El Dorado Co. Military Families Support Group; the El Dorado Co. Women of Distinction; the El Dorado Co. Rural Gold Panning Association; the El Dorado Co. Friends of the Veterans Memorial; the El Dorado Co. Chapter of People to People serving as President; the Camino Community Action Council; along with countless hours devoted to El Dorado Union High School District as a board member who goes to every high school, ROP programs, and various committees to move their ideas forward.
- Lori believes it is important to give back not only of your time, but financially as well. She supports the Boys and Girls Club of El Dorado; Motherlode Rehabilitation Enterprises; Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation; United States Golf Association; the El Dorado Rod and Gun Club; the El Dorado Co. Taxpayers Association; the Women’s Fund El Dorado; the El Dorado Community Foundation; the El Dorado Co. Food Bank; the High School Boosters Programs; the Camino Community Action Council; and KLOVE Christian Radio.
Today Lori is experienced and passionate about helping others; and we believe her efforts are extraordinary and worthy of the 2016 Helping Hands Outstanding “Individual” Award.
David Combellack received the 2015 Individual Helping Hands Award for his outstanding assistance raising funding for Images of Hope and Cancer Awareness.
Wendy Goossen received the 2015 Individual Helping Hands Award for her tireless efforts in Cancer Awareness and patient advocacy. She is the founder of Images of Hope and currently serves as the Director of the Cancer Services for Marshall Medical Center.
See below for Wendy's recent video!
2013 – Mark and Irene Smith
2013 – James and Deborah Whipple
2012 – Barbara Ashwill
2011 – Angelo Cardanini
2010 – Don and Sue Deal
2009 – Judith L. “Judie” Stewart
2008 – Tony Moran
2008 – Reginald D. Rice, Sr., M.D.
2007 – Tammy Chilcott
2007 – Gael Barsotti
2006 – Earl Tice
2005 – Quentin Bonser, M.D.
2004 – Earline Gutenberger
2003 – Robert O. “Bob” West
2002 – Marlene Sorsabal
2001 – Bart Tamblyn
2000 – Celine O’Brien
2000 – Janet Nachtman
1999 – Marilynn Moore
2012 – Thomas P. Winn Foundation
2011 – Emergency Medical Physicians
2010 – Ski Air, Inc., Mike and Nanette Lubinksi
2009 – Michael W. Jones, MD and Kenneth E. Nelson, MD /OB/GYN Physicians Group
2008 – Thompson’s Auto & Truck Centers
2007 – Marshall Auxiliary
2006 – Carter/Kelly, Inc.
2005 – Western Sign Company
2004 – Robinson’s Pharmacy